Pages

Friday, March 2, 2018

A Windy Morning with Ittan-Momen

A Most Unflattering Scarf

 

In the wake of my southern excursion, I found myself backtracking north towards Kyoto. Arriving to the city in early hours of the day, I sought to re-familiarize myself with the sights and sounds of the town. In particular, I much desired to observe the peaceful flow of the Katsura river, and quickly took to walking along its bank. Soon after, the sun began its upward ascent, and a fierce wind came trundling in with it. Not wanting to endure the chilling breeze, I turned to about with my hands firmly stowed in my pockets. However, it was at that moment that my vision blurred into a mesh of white.

I panicked, thinking I had suddenly gone blind. And yet, as I fumbled about, the light of the sun still shone true, and I realized something had flown directly into my face. Absentmindedly, I tore at the my newly acquired head covering, and found a long, sinuous piece of white cloth caught in my grasp. With tight, unapologetic grip, I proceeded to stretch the fabric to its limits for the purposes of evaluating its composition and make. Then, as if in response to my probing, the scarf-like seized, and attempted to wriggle free from my hands. Upon a partial success, one free end of the cloth coiled up like a snake, and sprang back onto my countenance.



Special Features and History

 

The aberration known as Ittan-Momen, in spite of its unsuspecting appearance, is as troublesome a ghoul as any. Drawing its regional origin from the south-most tip of Japan, these stringy spirits saw their first documentation in Kagoshima's Osumi district. Traveling in the likeness of a long strip of white cloth, these object-based specters float about on the wind, typically keeping to themselves and indulging an existence marked by solitude. Animal-like in temperament, some experts argue that these creatures are harmless, and safe subjects for paranormal study. Alas, they could not be more wrong.

Shrewder scholars of mythical entities note that, much like a cornered beast, the Ittan-Momen will responds to almost any provocation with violence. Specifically, the spirit will make use of its textile nature to envelope any aggressor, and work to slowly suffocate them to death. Now, dear reader, you may wonder as to what sort of power a sheet of cloth could possess, but make no mistake, the Ittan-Momen is not to be trifled with. The pressure produced by their binding threads is strong enough to down beings of mystical proportion. Furthermore some Ittan-Momen have been recorded to  reach lengths of ten meters when fully extended.

 

A Note on Tsukumogami


Ittan-Momen constitutes a special, liminal sort of specter, which is most commonly known as "tsukumogami" or "the spirit of the tool". In ancient times, it was believed that if an inanimate object served a corporeal master for a century, it would acquire a soul of its own, and gain agency as a quasi-living entity. This contrasts the general understanding of pre-established yokai, and foils the notion of nature demon biology.

I, for my part, have some critique to lodge on this principle, in theory more so than practice. As  tsukumogami suggests a sort of phantom possession, one could argue that it is just as likely that the inanimate object could become the target of a vengeful, or otherwise malevolent incorporeal consciousness. At least in the case of Ittan-Momen, the likelihood of an unaltered piece of cloth constantly seeing use over a hundred years is highly improbable. As a result, I think it far more likely that these garish garments are the product of a more purposeful haunt than random chance.



Closing Remarks and Parting Advice

 

In no time at all, the Ittan-Momen had handily constricted half of its total mass around my head and upper neck. Thankfully, its lower half was still restrained by my left hand, and in this manner an intense tug of war soon ensued. Had the vile thing had total command of its body, it would have surely overtaken me. However, as the fiend fought to bind itself around me, and simultaneously wriggle free, I was able to bring our conflict to a tiresome, yet stable stalemate. Our duel went on for what seemed like hours, until at last a plan took root in my mind.

With the palpable energy of a madman, I bolted from the riverside, and made a beeline for nearest financial district. Surely, any who saw me that day would have been greatly confused at the figure of a man wrestling with a scarf. Indeed, at several intervals the Ittan-Momen's strength surged with fury, and I was required to rein it back to the middle ground with both hands.

Finally, after laboring through what would have otherwise proven a short journey, I arrived at a modest laundromat, and made for a shelf at the back end. In a ritual that undoubtedly gave many  reason for pause, I began dousing my upper body in fabric softener, aiming to apply as much to my attacker as I could manage. With each successive volley of powder, I felt the spirits hold slacken. Eventually, I had robbed the creature of its greater elastic potential, until I took it triumphantly up in one, and tossed it into the nearest washer. Gladdened as I was for my victory, I do confess the irritation caused by the softener proper left me itchy for days thereafter.

While my encounter with this aberration ended with little in the way of bloodshed and sever consequences, I in no-way mean to discredit the real threat it may pose to anyone unlucky enough to cross its path. For the sake of avoiding asphyxiation, and in the interest preventing a mild phobia of clothing, I christen this spirit to be an A-Class Threat: a scarf of this sort will prove anything but complimentary to your ensemble. Until next time dear readers, I encourage you to cherish the inanimate accessories in your life, and disavow any foreign articles that wander your way.

Sincerely,
C.V. Hastings
____________

Thanks and Acknowledgements to:

http://yokai.wikia.com/wiki/Ittan-Momen
http://yokai.wikia.com/wiki/Tsukumogami
https://www.littlethings.com/japanese-folklore/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Night of the Nue

An Evening's Lament   I was amidst my northbound travels when a letter from a fan redirected me from Ibaraki to Niigata. The author ...